Skip to content

Trinity’s History

 And you yourselves, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood,
to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
1 Peter 2:5

Our Beginnings

Trinity Lutheran Church began meeting in a rented hall on Pall Mall Street in October 1920. Our congregation was officially organized in 1921 and began constructing our own building on the southwest corner of Sydenham and Richmond Street at 783 Richmond Street. The cornerstone was laid and the church was dedicated on October 12, 1924.

From the London Free Press in 1924
Postcard of our new church at Sydenham and Richmond
The interior of 783 Richmond St.
1926 Walther League

We remained at this location until 1951, when we sold the Richmond Street building to Faith Tabernacle and moved into our current location on the southeast corner of Colborne and Oxford Streets. The new location was designed by architect W. F. Noffice; using the Gothic Revival style of church architecture, he worked in a contemporary manner, creating the first church of this type in London. Yellow brick, rectangular openings and areas of plain and patterned brick were non-traditional designs while the tower and long, narrow windows were more conventional. The 1988 addition by Norbert Schuller, an architect and member of Trinity, included an interior patio area that allowed it to be built without covering the original windows on the southern side of the church.
“Rambles in the Rust Belt” by B. A. Vazquez briefly mentions Trinity here.( beginning at 1:21 minutes)

Groundbreaking at 746 Colborne St.
Rev. C.J. Killinger at the cornerstone laying
View of Trinity from Colborne St.
Groundbreaking for our addition in 1988

Celebrating 100 Years

In October 2021, Trinity observed the milestone of a century of service to the community of London. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we were unable to celebrate at the time; thus we marked this significant occasion in 2022 with an anniversary service and concert.