A few years ago I met a young man who had not been raised in a religious family, had no knowledge of the Bible and did not know anything about Jesus. His school friend had been one of my confirmation students and this young man was wanting to get to know what this Jesus was all about. We decided to meet once a month at a Stratford Tim Horton’s. I bought him coffee and I brought along a bible to give to, or lend, him. We met and we talked. I wasn’t sure about where to start teaching. I didn’t want to hand over the Bible and say, “Start reading come back and ask me questions.” This new-to-the-Bible young-man needed more guidance. I decided that the Gospel of John was the right place to start. Now, let me tell you the end of that story. Eventually he found a local church to join and our conversations came to an end. After I had moved to Trinity, London, I got an email from him telling me that he had been baptised. What a joyful email that was to read – it filled my heart.
The idea for this bible series comes out of the time that I spent with that young man. Imagine that you get the chance to introduce faith to someone that is curious? The best lesson you can ever give is yourself, showing your faith in action, showing who and what Jesus is for you, as you show love and acceptance though your own way of living and caring for the world around you. But then what? The next things are to invite them to a church community and to introduce the sacred story.
To get most out of this “Introduction to the Bible” series you should have your bible with you and aim to complete the readings before next chapter comes out in each newsletter this year. A Wednesday evening bible study will roughly follow the newsletter articles schedule through the year (2015).
- Chapter 1 – The Gospel of John: The Mystery and Images of Jesus
- Chapter 2 – Genesis Chapters 1 to 8
- Chapter 3 – Paul’s Letter to the Ephesians
- Chapter 4 – God’s Covenants with Noah & Abraham, Joseph’s Journey To Egypt
- Chapter 5 – Exodus: God’s Saves The Israelites
- Chapter 6 – Luke: Jesus and the Poor
- Chapter 7 – Luke: Meals and the Last Supper
- Chapter 8 – Galatians: Equality in Christ
- Chapter 9 – Samuel: The story of Israel
- Chapter 10 – Isaiah: The prophets
- Chapter 11 – Matthew: Prophecy Revealed
Useful Online Bibles:
Oremus Bible Browser – New Revised Standard, King James Version and more
BibleGateway.com – New International Version, The Message, King James Version, audio Bibles, and more
Written by Pastor Steve Johnston